Saturday, March 24, 2012

Joseph WEEDEN my great grandfather

I've presented my family history here a bit haphazardly, unlike my friend Sheila whose blog Ancestral Thoughts is much more logically laid out!  Having spent the last few weeks writing mostly about my Norfolk family, with a slight meander into Lincolnshire for a pub or two, I want to turn back to my London family now. You already know about some of great aunts who were either born in London, or moved there from Norfolk, but I do have a whole branch who seem to be Londoners through and through. These are my maternal father's branch the WEEDENs. This is the branch that I knew least about because although my mum had done some work on them prior to me inheriting the family tree, it was hard due to the records not being readily available to me in Norfolk. But that all changed when I subscribed to Ancestry, and they started adding firstly Parish Registers and then Electoral Registers for London. The cost of subscribing to Ancestry is offset by the cost that certificates would cost me.

So, today I want to tell you a little more about my grandad's family. You already know a bit about my grandad's life from this post. You also know about his three sisters, Ada, Lil, and Flo (albeit through her famous husband), but today I want to tell you about their parents, Joseph WEEDEN and Helena MIMMS.


Joseph was born in Southwark St John on 30 Aug 1863 to Richard and Sarah. He was #7 out of 11 children, out of which only four reached adulthood. Both his father Richard, and his brother, another Richard, were coopers by trade. Joseph also worked for a brewery, but not as a cooper.
When he married Helena MIMMS in Newington, in 1888,  his occupation was a brewer. Over the next few years they had 7 children , losing 2 along the way, both under the age of a year. Over the next 20 odd years, his status declines from brewer, to brewer's labourer to machine minder in a brewery.





This old sepia photo shows Joseph and Helena and their six surviving children. The baby, Harry, was born in February of 1905. So that dates it.
(as an aside, ghostly Ada is the young child at the bottom).

In 1911 Joseph is found as a patient in Bermondsey Infirmary. Had he already contracted the T.B. that was to kill him later on? T.B was rife amongst the urban poor. (poster left  is from 1920s).  If so, he must have recovered as he lived on for another 12 years.

All three sons (Richard, Albert and Harry) go to war and thankfully come home safely. He appears on two London Electoral Registers, 1918 and 1920, living in Camberwell at 60, Heaton Rd, Peckham. (This area must have been bombed in WW2, as a walk on google maps shows new houses there).







And then, in March 1923, his beloved daughter Ada dies of pneumonia. He dies just two months later on 24th May. The family story says he died of a broken heart, but his death certificate says T.B..  He is buried with Ada in Nunhead Cemetery.





No comments: